We built this website to make it easier for the public to find out about people who are buried in St Thomas’ churchyard. In particular we want to help people who do not live locally, and do not know the area. The site brings together in one place a wide range of data about each burial. Hopefully the website will be a useful resource for those wishing to research their family records and heritage. We would like to think that the data we have recorded here will benefit people for many years to come.
The then Bishop Of Lichfield consecrated the church and churchyard on the 9th August 1832. On the 7th July 1891 George Ridding, the Bishop of Southwell consecrated an extension to the churchyard. The Duke of Devonshire unveiled the War Memorial on the south side of the church in September 1921.
In 2017 the Heritage Lottery Fund awarded St Thomas’ Church a large grant, to further repair and restore the church tower and pinnacles. A storm in February 1963 had sent one of the pinnacles crashing through the roof of the church. Initial repairs in 1963 after the storm damage had added a metal framework to support the pinnacles. During the restoration work in 2017 the contractors strengthened the pinnacles and removed the rather ugly metal bars. They also did extra repairs to the roof and to the stonework of the tower.
Lottery Funded projects such as this are committed to developing an ongoing sustainable programme of events and activities to engage people’s interest in both the church building itself, and its significance within the wider community – along with local Industrial and Social Heritage in general. This website is part of this Heritage Awareness Programme.
Also as part of their Heritage Awareness project the Church has collaborated with the North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society NEDIAS. They have jointly produced a leaflet documenting a walk around some of the fascinating historical industrial sites in Brampton. Details of the walk can be found here.